The Responsible Service of Alcohol, what is it  and how to apply


The RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) is the certification that allows you to work in Australia in areas in which it is for administration and the sale of alcohol.

How do I get it?


To obtain the RSA certificate it is compulsory  to attend a course of the duration of about 4 hours.

They cover the following topics:

  • problems related to the excessive consumption
  • the alcohol and the law
  • help improve the atmosphere of the local
  • management of various problems

After completing the course, you will need to take a test answering correctly a short series of questions, and if so get the RSA certification.
After receiving this certificate, you will have the possibility to work as a barman, bartender or hold any other professional with these requests.

Most of the restaurants and pubs in Australia, require it as mandatory to be employed, so do not forget to mention it in your CV!

Where to do the test

It’s possible to do the test at one of several centres or online.

(NB: For those who reside in the State of Victoria and Tasmania, online courses are not valid, you can take the test only after the on-site attendance of the course. You can download the full list of all centres in the State of Victoria.)

Note that the RSA certificate is valid only in the region where it is received, so if you got it in the state of Victoria, it will be valid only in that state.

How much does it cost?

The course fee is around $ 40 depending on the offers of the various institutions.

Contact us

Our help is always free.


106/343 Little Collins Street, MELBOURNE

+61 (03) 9939 7292


Level 17, 327 Pitt Street
Sydney, NSW 2000

+61 (0) 2 9261 8559

Open Hours

Monday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Tuesday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Wednesday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Friday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Saturday Closed


Leave us a message